Wednesday, February 11, 2015

FEBRUARY TURTLE TROT! I surrender.....

Good day everyone! Hope you are warm and cozy despite all the snow some people are getting.

Time for the February Turtle Trot update.
I joined Face Book a few weeks ago. And have joined several SAL's. One is the Ursula Michael Snow Men Tic Tac Toe. I wanted to stitch this on an afghan. HA!!!! The first afghan was the size I needed. Very stark white and the snowmen would not show up very well. I hand dyed it to a DMC #928 mottled color. Not the effect I was looking for. The dye did not take well at all. Turning into a very light ocean bluish green. I was willing to live with that. When I first touched the afghan it felt almost "sticky". Thought being was that salt, in the dye, plus machine wash and dry, would soften the afghan. NOT so. Decided that I couldn't take working with a "sticky" feeling afghan. Unfortunately I have two of these. Afghan #2 had too small of blocks. Afghan #3 was not square, rather rectangle middle and only corner squares to work with. So, nothing left to do but surrender...  I ended up using Faith's great idea for a pillow.
After a week of wrestling with this project I dug out some 28 count Ice Blue Joblen fabric. I had started using #8 DMC Perle cottons on all the afghans. Got a lazy streak and decided to use the perle cotton, I had gathered up for the afghan, rather than go back through and select DMC floss/thread. Using DMC light Effects for the snowflakes and hat band.
1.




#2. for my Turtle Trot projects ia a Joan Elliot SAL Spirit of the Orient Sampler. The SAL started two weeks ago. I got my book in the mail Monday evening.
Tuesday, did the set up and started stitching this beautiful piece last night.
 32 count belfast linen. Not sure of the color. Is a pretty beige color with yellow in the mix. I am still looking for a pretty thread,  for the words, other than using black. Thinking of #44 Kreinik #4 braid. Will test that out and see how it looks.
Here is what the sampler should look like, there abouts, when finished.
#3. are three Little House Needleworks ornaments.
Have the stitching done and ready for beads. Pattern does not require beads. I like to "dress up" these ornaments with them.
#4. is my Serenity Harbor Sampler SAL
Started the sun on page one. Using DMC Variations.
#5 is Angie Designers Fleur du Ciel SAL
#6 is my Holiday Bear. Stitching with some DMC Light Effects Metalics.
#7 Is Joan Elliots Faces SAL. Just got this one started, too.

#8 Is Brooke's Books Spirit of Knitting.
I didn't get any stitches in this one. Due to the arguments I was having with afghans....
#9 Margaret Sherry Friends from the 2012 calendar book.
#10.  2013 HAED Mystic Garden SAL
#s 8, 9 and 10 are UFO's. Trying to get some of those finished this year. Already finished one UFO with my rose afghan.

Also did some spring cleaning and decorating! I know it is a little early(okay a lot early) for spring decorating. We are having very warm weather and it feels like spring here. Don't be too envious... That means this summer we are going to fry with 100 degree temperatures.
On the non stitchy side, I found my two ceramic bunny rabbits that I painted some years ago. Nice to see them out playing again!

There are actually three to the set. The third one is packed away waiting to be painted. Fortunately, I found my notes on the stain colors I used!
 Happy stitching and thanks for stopping by!
Deb


11 comments:

Linda said...

Such pretty projects Deb.

Linda

Tiffstitch said...

What great choices, and I'm awed at how much metallic thread you use. I tend to try and avoid it myself. Big kudos to you!

Faith... said...

The Snowman is off to a great start! And your Fleur du Ciel is very pretty, actually everything looks great. Love those bunnies too - I am anxiously waiting for spring!!

Southpaw Stitcher said...

You have a really nice selection of projects!

Preeti said...

Great progress on your WIPs !! We will have temperatures around 45-46 C in summers (May) and sometimes it will even shoot to 48 for few days. We just shut ourselves home when schools are closed in May.

Anonymous said...

beautiful work

Brigitte said...

These projects are all so nice and most of them have got some attention from you. Nice stitching.

Annette-California said...

So sorry to hear about the sticky afghans. But all your projects are so beautiful - wow!!! And what a great jump on the 3 LHN ornaments. Looking forward to seeing where you add beads. Your bunnies are so darling and I spied some cute chicks & eggs in the background. All your progress is wonderful - Great job!
love Annette

Suz said...

Great projects. And those bunnies are so cute, it's nice that you've got the notes so the third will match :)

Claudette497 said...

That's a lot of afghans! I'm glad you found one that works. You're making great progress on all your pieces. Love those bunnies!

gwendal said...

very cute rabbits. you are so talented that every thing seems easy for you even painting, crochet , cross stitch, gardening .
Your new projects are amazing
great job
Michelle